Fearing that someone else would bring guac to the 4th of July BBQ that we attended, I bravely made it anyway, deciding that there can never be too much guac at one party.
I adapted this guac recipe from recipezaar.com:
- 6 avocados(soft but not mushy)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 juicy limes cut in half
- 1 small tomato diced(ripe but firm)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro(add or subtract to your liking)
- 1/2 medium onion(optional)
- 1 diced jalapeno(optional)
Cut avocados in half and remove pit. Place in a bowl with juice of two limes and mash with a large fork or potato masher. I prefer my guac a little on the chunky side but keep mashing if you like it smoother. Fold in the remaining ingredients(tomato, garlic, cilantro, onion and jalapeno). Add salt to your liking.
It tastes best if you can let it set for multiple hours to a day for all the flavors to really combine. I intermittently taste test to see if I like where the flavor is headed and adjust the ingredients if necessary. Eat with your favorite tortilla chip.