My original plan for dinner on Saturday night was steak, garlic mashed and steamed asparagus. By the time I got to the grocery store the night before the meat counter was closed. So I opted to substitute the bleu cheese-stuffed chicken breasts. I’m just glad the grocery store wasn’t out of potatoes because these are deliciously creamy and garlicy. Perfect for a holiday meal or anytime you need some comfort food.
Recipe adapted from weightwatchers.com:
- 3 pounds small red potatoes
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 Tbsp low-fat sour cream
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Combine the potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 25-40 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 14/ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Mash the potatoes and garlic in the sauce pan.
- Stir in the sour cream, oil, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in the cooking liquid, 2 or 3 Tbsp at a time, until the potatoes become creamy. Makes 8 servings(3/4 cup per serving).
This makes a large batch. You might want to halve it but I’m sure once you taste them you won’t mind having left overs. I also added more salt and pepper than the recipe called for.