Perfect for Valentine’s Day…and easy enough to make that you could still do it tonight and surprise that special someone in the morning. Oh, did I mention I am eating one as I post? They are so good. Sweeter than a bagel but not obnoxiously sweet like a pastry. They are the perfect combination.
This recipe was adapted from The Knead for Speedwith my pictures added in.
Heart Shaped Blueberry Bagels
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 package (0.25 ounce) instant yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (115 degrees F)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Extra sugar, for sprinkling
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, yeast, 2 Tablespoons sugar, and salt. Add warm water and combine until dough forms. Add a little more flour or water if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Roll out dough on lightly-floured surface. Knead until dough becomes smooth and elastic (a few minutes or so). Knead in most of blueberries. Let dough rest in a lightly oiled bowl, covered, for 10 minutes.
- With a floured knife, cut into four portions of equal size. Shape one portion into a long rope, gradually rolling out and pulling dough outwards, letting gluten relax. Place several blueberries along the inside of the rope ends and curling ropes around into spirals that meet in the center. Repeat with remaining dough ropes. Place on greased baking sheet and cover dough with a warm, damp cloth. Let rise 20 minutes.
- While dough is rising, place 1 gallon water mixed with 1 Tablespoon sugar in a large, deep pot over high heat. Once water begins boiling, lower heat until water reaches a simmer.
- Broil bagels on low at least 6 inches from heat for 4 minutes, turning once halfway through (bagels should not brown). Remove from oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Gently drop 3-4 bagels at a time into simmering water. Cook 7 minutes, turning once halfway through. Drain on paper towels and generously sprinkle with sugar while still wet. Return bagels to greased baking sheet and bake 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Devour these delicious creations!