I’m eating this as I post. It’s that good. I couldn’t wait until I finished the bowl to write this post.
This salad/slaw is so fresh, bright and delicious with a slight nuttiness thanks to the sesame seeds. I will be making it all summer.
I ran across the recipe during my detox at the beginning of the year. I didn’t make it then as it looked like a lot of work. Chop, chop, chop. Well, since my last detox, I left my old job and one of my favorite co-workers gave me a food processor as a farewell gift. Could a girl be any luckier? Tonight, I got to use the shredding disc for the first time tonight. Woot woot!
Recipe heavily adapted from Whole Living.
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and finely julienned (2 cups)
- 1 tart apple, cored and finely julienned
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 3 radishes, finely julienned
- 3 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Shred sweet potato, apple and radishes in your food processor. If you aren’t lucky enough to have one, slice by hand.
Thinly slice one stalk of celery. Combine in a bowl with sweet potato, apple and radish. Add in sesame seeds(toast if yours aren’t already) and cilantro.
In a small bowl, combine ginger, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir or shake to emulsify.
Pour over salad and combine well.
I was a little nervous about eating raw sweet potato, but it is absolutely delicious. I wouldn’t hesitate to take this to any summer gathering. People will be shocked at how healthy and delicious it is. It’s just the thing to counteract unhealthy picnic foods.